How many times have you moved in your life? Is it usually a cool new experience or a daunting task for you?
I have moved many times in my life even though I come from the culture, in which families traditionally settle down and stay in the same apartment most of their life. From the age of 12, I knew I wanted to explore the world and to move away from Russia. Till the present day, I have had at least 10 major “resettlements” in my life.
We move for different reasons: happy, sad, voluntary, or necessary. In my experience, I moved because of…
- my desire to explore the United States
- my decision to pursue education in Taiwan
- my future career prospects in Canada
- very noisy neighbours who made me lose sleep
- ants crawling in the bathroom and kitchen despite all my attempts to keep the apartment spotless clean
- increase in salary and the chance to rent a place in downtown
- me finding the love of my life and moving in together
Very often our moving trajectory reflects the pivotal moments of our personal and professional life. It is like the geography of our own adventure. And the best thing is that we get to choose how to plan our journey, where to put a red dot on the map, and what new lands to explore next. Never settle down for a long time. Keep moving, continue travelling, find new ways to understand the world better. Because when you understand the world, you understand yourself. In a much more profound way.